New 28 Days Later movie gets an exciting filming update – Digital Spy

New 28 Days Later movie gets an exciting filming update – Digital Spy

The 28 Days Later franchise is expanding, as its newest movie has been given an exciting filming update.

The much-loved zombie film was released back in 2002 with a sequel in 2007, and in January it was confirmed that Danny Boyle would return to make three new films in the same world.

While Boyle will direct the first new film, titled 28 Years Later, Deadline has now reported that Candyman director Nia DaCosta is in talks to direct the second instalment in the trilogy of movies.

Dave Benett//Getty Images

Related: Hailee Steinfeld lands next movie role

The movie’s original writer Alex Garland, who is also behind new movie Civil War, is set to write both new films and will also produce alongside Boyle, Andrew Macdonald and Peter Rice.

Oscar winner and star of the original film Cillian Murphy will also be an executive producer, though it isn’t yet known if he will reprise his iconic role.

While nothing is confirmed yet, reports suggest that 28 Years Later will be filmed later this year with Boyle at the helm, then the second film will shoot immediately after.

Landmark, Standing, Tourism, City, Architecture, Travel, Building, Vacation,

20th Century Studios

Related: First look at Elle Fanning in Timothée Chalamet’s new movie

Oppenheimer star Murphy plays Jim in 28 Days Later, who wakes from a coma to find that the world is now ravaged by a highly contagious disease.

He wasn’t involved in the 2007 sequel, but earlier this year he revealed that he would love to play the role again in a future instalment of the franchise.

He said: “I can’t give much more at this point. But I’ve always said I would love to be involved because that movie changed everything for me – I have great affection for it and for those guys [Alex and Danny]. I never watch my own films, except that one.

“It’s always on around Halloween and during the pandemic people were constantly sending me clips. And I’ve shown it to my kids. It’s really stood up, even though it’s 22 years old now, so I’m really thrilled that we’ll get the band back together to make this one.”

28 Years Later is currently in development.

April 2024 gift ideas and deals
Lettermark

Content production intern, Digital Spy

After studying for an English degree at the University of Exeter, Erin completed a PPA-accredited Masters in Magazine Journalism at Cardiff University. She recently joined the team at Digital Spy, writing across both news and features. 

Erin is a fan of all things TV, from comedy and drama to reality TV and soaps.

This post was originally published on this site

Leave a Reply

Lost Password